Tuesday, July 16, 2013

new site | mood board



Designing your own website is overwhelming to say the least. Figuring out your style, what you WANT to be vs. who you actually are, what kind of people you want to attract, all while leaving room for growth is a daunting task.

This blog has been a great way to see the reoccurring themes that I come back to again and again. It takes some time to see how to apply it to a singular, cohesive vision (especially when my tastes range from this to this). It has to send the correct message out to the world of who I am and what I do.

It's a lot of pressure, ok!?

So how do you get there?




Well with any creative project, I think it first begins with self-acceptance. As hokey as that sounds, there are many times I try to change my style, my design aesthetic, what I like and what I feel to try to fit in the mold of what is expected or what is generally "liked" by the most amount of people. But at the end of the day, you are you and you can't help what you like and who you are. Recognize that. Accept that. Move on.

The second is either starting a blog, or a Tumblr, or a Pinterest account, anywhere you can quickly and instinctively start editing what you like and what you don't. The "why" you like something comes later. If you haven't gotten on one of these platforms, I suggest you do! Immediately! Once you see a collection of your images or ideas over the course of a few months, it doesn't take long to start seeing patterns - color palettes, tones, moods, etc. that you are drawn to over and over again. Take all these patterns, mush them together as best you can, and start incorporating them into what you're creating. You'll see what works and what doesn't pretty quickly. It's a real eye-opener and really fun.



The last step I would say would be start living to your true potential. All those big ideas? All that time wishing you were one of your idols? Dude! Just start doing it. Start BEING that person you want to be. Like for me, I always wished I was the person that had time to eat breakfast, drink tea, and do a crossword puzzle by myself on a weekday morning. So one Tuesday, I got up early, made myself breakfast, drank tea, and attempted a crossword puzzle. It felt good! It felt authentic! It makes the content I produce and the life I'm living feel inherently aspirational, yet also attainable. Because I aspired, and then I attained! (On a Tuesday, no less.)

So, I'm still in the early stages of designing. As you can see it's a long process, especially when you're taking on the task of doing it alone. I don't mind the challenge, but if YOU have any words of advice, please leave a comment! I could use all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment