Thursday, September 22, 2011

blog of the week | The Style Rookie




The reasons I find inspiration from this 15-year-old blogger is because she's not afraid to be different. Her unique, obscure findings and images provide her readers with a deep look into her creative genius.


She often mixes innocent and girly pastels with irreverent art, posters, and figurines which paints a very satirical picture of what it means to be a girl in a "coming of age" stage of life.


Even at her young age, Tavi has become well-respected among heavy hitters in the fashion community. She has started a online publication called {Rookie} which inspires her peers (and her fans) through their own "coming of age" adventure in a tone which is honest and authentic.


I visit Tavi's blog when I have an idea in my head but I am feeling it is too cliche. "The Style Rookie" always makes me look at things from a different angle. It also makes me think about how while children's art should be innocent and playful, it can also inadvertently attract an older audience as well.


That's why I try to keep the idea in my head that someone may buy a painting for their baby's nursery or perhaps (if they're like me) may think of it as more modern piece for a bright colored study space or living room.


All photos are credited to The Style Rookie

No comments:

Post a Comment